Rose Petal Pistachio Ice Cream0 Reviews
- Prep: 1 hr
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready In: 5 hr 45 min
“Creamy sweet rose ice cream with salty roasted pistachios. A match made in heaven!” - by sophie
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Rinse the rose petals in cold water, and pat dry. Place 2/3 cup of rose petals in a saucepan with the heavy cream, half-and-half cream, and 1/3 cup of sugar. Place over medium heat, and bring the mixture to a bare simmer, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and let the cream and rose petals steep for about 30 minutes. If you prefer, strain out the used rose petals. Set the remaining 1/3 cup of uncooked rose petals aside for later.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spread pistachio nuts out onto a baking sheet, and bake until lightly toasted and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Prepare an ice water bath for rapidly chilling the ice cream mix: set a large bowl in the sink, and fill with ice cubes and enough water to let the cubes begin to melt. Have the ice water bath waiting while you do the next steps.
- Place the egg yolks and 1/3 cup of sugar in a 2 quart mixing bowl (small enough to fit into the ice bath), and whisk the yolks and sugar until pale yellow, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place the saucepan with the rose-scented cream back over medium-low heat, and bring almost to a simmer, stirring constantly. Whisk a small amount of the hot rose cream into the egg yolks, then repeat several times until you've gradually whisked in about 1 cup of the hot cream. Scrape all the egg yolk mixture into the saucepan with the remaining hot cream, whisking like mad the whole time, and cook gently just until the mixture is smooth, thickened, and coats the back of a spoon, about 5 more minutes. When mixture is just thickened, scoop it back into the egg yolk bowl, and place the bowl immediately into the ice water bath.
- Stir the ice cream mix over the ice bath for about 2 minutes to prevent lumping, and mix in the rose water. Start with 1 teaspoon of the flavoring, and add more to taste, up to 2 or more tablespoons. Stir in food coloring if desired. Place a sheet of plastic wrap against the surface of the ice cream mix, squeezing out any air pockets. Chill the ice cream mix for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Place the chilled ice cream mix into an ice cream freezer, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. When the ice cream is soft-frozen, scoop into a lidded container, and stir in the remaining rose petals and the pistachios to combine. Freeze covered for several hours to firm up before serving.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 462 cal
- 35.3 g
- 30.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (0)Rate This Recipe
Ice Cream Base
Vanilla Ice Cream
Just swipe to see more like this.