Pizza Buns9 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 35 min
- Ready In: 45 min
“The elementary school I attended back in the 1950's used to make these, and were a favorite of most everyone. My wife and I spent a lot of time trying to recreate these when we were first married. Our kids (now in their 30's) still request these when they come to visit. We use canned pizza sauce but spice it up. Left-overs are easily reheated in the toaster oven.” - by jcinaz
Original recipe yields 16 mini pizzas
- Preheat the oven's broiler and set the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source.
- Place bun halves, crust sides down, onto a baking sheet. Broil the buns until just toasted, about 1 minute. Watch them carefully, they burn easily. Set the toasted buns aside.
- Turn oven heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and stir the ground beef until the meat is browned and crumbly, about 10 minutes. Drain excess grease, and stir in the onion. Cook and stir the beef mixture until the onion is translucent, about 5 more minutes, then stir in the pizza sauce, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper flakes, and paprika. Bring the sauce to a boil, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes to blend the flavors, stirring often.
- Spoon the beef sauce over the buns on the baking sheet, and top each bun with about 1/4 cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese. Return the buns to the oven, and bake until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 341 cal
- 14.4 g
- 29 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (9)Rate This Recipe
"Made an error on submitting. Should have been 1/3 C of chopped onion...." See more"
"Very similar to what my Mom used to call "Little Pizzas", but she used toasted English Muffins for the base. She would sometimes add chopped mushrooms to the ground beef/tomato mixture...." See more"
Kid's Favorite Pizza Casserole
Make-Ahead Pizza Burgers
Just swipe to see more like this.