Vegetarian Oven-Baked Brown and Wild Rice with Eggplant4 Reviews
- Prep: 45 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 45 min
“Begin with Uncle Ben's® Rice and end up with a delicious vegetarian dish. Skillet browned with eggplant, garbanzo beans, and freshly chopped tomatoes.” - by Uncle Ben's®
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- In a saucepan, saute the onion in the oil until it has lightly browned. Add the garlic, salt, pepper and turmeric. Add rice and broth, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, peel and cut the eggplant into 1/4-inch slices. Sprinkle with salt and set aside for about 10 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
- Lightly salt the eggplant and spray with oil. Brown both sides in a hot skillet, set aside.
- Once the rice is cooked, mix in yogurt and transfer mixture to a large shallow casserole dish. Spread the navy and garbanzo beans over the rice and then top with layer of eggplant and chopped tomatoes.
- Bake uncovered in a preheated 350 F oven for about 20 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 344 cal
- 4.7 g
- 63.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"This was decent. I made a few changes: excluded the onion, substituted kidney beans for red bean, substituted cumin for turmeric, added cheddar cheese The rice and yogurt mixture was a little bland. ..." See moreIf I make this again I'll definitely use the onion and probably add a little more spice. I think the cheese was a necessary addition though. Overall, I think this is a good solid, healthy vegetarian meal."
"Made this dish when I had some friends over. Since several people noted that it was rather bland I kicked up the spices, adding turmeric and paprika along with 1/2 a head of garlic. This seemed to g..." See moreive it a bit more pep, however I think I would season it even more a 2nd time around. Also, the left-overs heated up extremely well."
Buckshot Duck with Wild and Brown Rice Stuffing
Eggplant and Mushrooms with Wild Rice
Just swipe to see more like this.