Chocolate Gingerbread Men6 Reviews
- Prep: 1 hr
- Cook: 10 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 10 min
“Spicy chocolate gingerbread men will make your cookie tray stand out this year, and they make great gifts, too.” - by Ghirardelli®
Original recipe yields 40 gingerbread men
- Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler or in a heatproof bowl over simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter, brown sugar, white sugar, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the molasses, egg, and melted chocolate and continue beating on medium speed for an additional 2 minutes. On low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Transfer the dough to a flat surface and flatten into a disk. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, or up to 5 days.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide the chilled dough into four equal quarters, leaving three quarters in the refrigerator. Lightly flour a flat work surface and roll out one piece of dough to a thickness of about 1/8 inch. Using a small (2 to 2 1/2 -inch) gingerbread man or woman cookie cutter, cut out as many cookies as possible. Place the cookies on the prepared cookie sheets, about 1 inch apart. Gather all the dough scraps into a ball and place in the refrigerator. Take out another quarter of the dough, and continue rolling out the dough and cutting cookies until all the dough has been used.
- Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes until slightly raised. Using a spatula, remove the cookies from the cookie sheets, transferring to a wire rack to cool.
Amount Per Serving (40 total)
- 113 cal
- 5.1 g
- 16.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (6)Rate This Recipe
"Made this recipe with my 7 y/o granddaughter, and boy was she excited. We followed this recipe to a T. After chilling the dough, it was hard as a brick so trying to roll that out was a real chore. I..." See moret was impossible to keep the dough from cracking. Wanted to throw it away but didn't want to let her down so we toiled our way through and managed to get a few cookies on the tray before throwing the rest of the batch in the garbage. The few we made tasted OK but had a very heavy molasses flavor. I'll be looking for another recipe to use instead."
For King and Prince
"Delicious! The dough is a bit hard to work with - not sticky to the touch, but sticky enough to stick BAD to the rolling pin (I have a marble pin) and tear up your best efforts at rolling 1/8 in. thic..." See morek dough. It's easy enough to dust the counter with plenty of flour, but I had to dust my dough a LOT on the top to keep it from sticking to the pin, and this left unsightly white flour all over the tops, which I wanted to decorate all cute like the picture. Second batch, I used unsweetened cocoa to dust the top. Better, but still not ideal. Honestly, I think a rolling pin cover is the only way to go, or covering the dough with a clean linen towel (a regular kitchen towel will leave towel impressions on your dough). If you have the stick-to-it-iveness (no pun intended) to deal with the rolling woes, the flavor of these cookies is wonderful - all gingerbread-y with a hint of dark chocolate. Followed the recipe exactly except used 4 oz. Ghirardelli 60% chips (couldn't find the bar) and used Nestle unsweetened cocoa as that was what I already had on hand. Wonderful Christmas cookie. Edit: I made a white choc frosting from 4 oz melted white chocolate, 1/2 c. softened butter, 2 1/2 c. powdered sugar, 1 t. vanilla, and milk - 1 t. at a time till desired consistency. Whipped together with an electric mixer and it made fluffy delicious frosting which really went well with these cookies (it's soft frosting though, so don't stack the cookies too deep unless you want cookie sandwiches!)"
Clementine's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies
Just swipe to see more like this.