Risotto with Chicken, Sausage and Peppers13 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 1 hr 10 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 min
“Orzo gets cooked risotto-style, using a flavorful stock made with braised chicken and sausage.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Season chicken thighs with salt and black pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium-high heat in a saucepan. Cook chicken until browned, about 3-4 minutes on each side; remove from pan.
- Cook and stir linguica sausage and onion in the same saucepan until the onion is just starting to become translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in paprika, cumin, herbes de Provence, bay leaf, and parsley; cook spices in oil until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Return browned chicken thighs to the skillet, and pour in chicken stock.
- Heat to a boil; reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove all chicken pieces and sausage using a slotted spoon. Pour broth into different bowl and set aside. When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove skin and bones; set chicken meat and sausage aside.
- Heat 2 more tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat in saucepan. Add red and green peppers and orzo; stir to coat with hot oil. Stir in 1-1/2 cups of hot broth, 1/2 cup at a time. Cook for 5 minutes, or until most of broth is absorbed.
- Continue to slowly add remaining broth and stir until almost absorbed, about 15 minutes, or until tender but still slightly firm in the center of a pasta (you probably won't use all of broth). Remove from heat. Add chicken and sausage, stir and cover. Let sit for 5 minutes, or until pasta soaks up remaining broth. You can pour in extra broth at serving time if mixture is a little dry.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 739 cal
- 46.9 g
- 34.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (13)Rate This Recipe
"This was my first attempt at risotto and I was really nervous, but I followed the directions exactly and it turned out wonderful- creamy and spicy!..." See more"
"I made this last night and it came out amazing.. my boyfriend said it was a top dish. the only difference in this recipe is that I cooked all the veggies with the meat and I used two different sausage..." See mores a spicy italian and a something else that wasnt so spicy ( a good mix) and insitead of shredding the chicken I just kept it as is. When I sauted the all of the veggies with the sausage it came it out very flavorfull. This was a very flavorfull dish.. very good"
Zesty Penne, Sausage and Peppers
Risotto with Chicken and Asparagus
Just swipe to see more like this.