Shooter Sandwich1 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 6 hr 45 min
“This English sandwich is definitely different, but really hearty and yummy. It is great to eat on camping trips or to send with your hubby while he is hunting. This recipe is very basic in measurements and can be adjusted as desired for the most part. The doneness of the meat can be adjusted as well. Hope you like it!” - by WOODANGELA
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Cut a thick slice from the top of the loaf for a lid; use your fingers to pull the bread center out of the crust, leaving a thick shell. (Save the removed bread for another use.)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large, heavy skillet over high heat until the oil is slightly smoking; lay the beef round steak into the hot skillet, and cook until the outside of the meat is browned and crusty and the inside is your desired degree of doneness, 5 to 8 minutes per side for medium-rare. Remove the steak, and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in the skillet, and cook and stir the onion, mushrooms, and garlic until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms have given up their juice, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Lay the cooked steak into the hollowed-out bread loaf, and pile the onions, mushrooms, and garlic over the steak. Replace the bread "lid," and wrap the whole loaf in aluminum foil. Place the loaf onto a baking sheet; place a heavy flat weight on top of the loaf, such as a board or a heavy skillet, and weight the top with several bricks or jars of water.
- Place the loaf with its weights into the refrigerator, and chill and press the sandwich for at least 6 hours. To serve, bring to room temperature, and cut off slices of the loaf.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 516 cal
- 22.3 g
- 42.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1)Rate This Recipe
"This was a delicious sandwich. I changed it a little but loved it. Round steak is a tough cut of meat to use whole so used a tri tip and sliced it. Didn't like the thought of cold mushrooms and on..." See moreions so I did not weight it down and just ate it hot. Loved it. thanks so much for posting the recipe"
Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich with Garlic Mayo
Jeremy's Philly Steak and Cheese Sandwich
Just swipe to see more like this.