To-Die-For Chicken Pot Pie15 Reviews
- Prep: 45 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 45 min
“This is a recipe passed down from my Mom. Every time I make it, someone asks for the recipe. One friend says her family fights over it! I hope you enjoy! You can also make a homemade chicken soup with this recipe. Just cut up veggies, shred chicken, and cook in chicken broth.” - by jenhusted
Original recipe yields 1 pot pie
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Place a baking sheet on the a rack on which you'll bake the pie.
- Combine the carrots, celery, peas, green beans, corn, onion, red potatoes, and chicken broth in a large pot. Season the vegetable mixture with thyme, salt, and black pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the vegetables and set aside.
- Place dry chicken gravy mix into another saucepan and gradually whisk in the water until smooth. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until thickened, about 1 minute. Set gravy aside and allow to continue to thicken as it cools.
- Press one of the pie crusts into the bottom of a 9-inch pie dish. Spoon a layer of gravy (about 1/3 cup) into the crust. Layer the cooked vegetables and shredded chicken into the crust until the filling is level with the top of the pie dish. Pour the rest of the gravy slowly over the filling until gravy is visible at the top. Scatter butter pieces over the filling; top with second crust. Seal the 2 crusts together and crimp with a fork.
- Whisk the egg and milk together in a bowl, and brush the egg wash over the top crust. Pierce the top crust several times to vent steam.
- Bake the pot pie in the preheated oven until the filling is bubbling and the crust is golden brown, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Check periodically to see if the edge of the crust is browning too quickly; if needed, cover the edge with a strip of aluminum foil to prevent over-browning.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 676 cal
- 37.6 g
- 64.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (15)Rate This Recipe
"Fantastic recipe. Used 2 lb chicken breast, coated in thyme, rosemary, and basil then topped with butter pats and baked. Fork shredded the chicken, which distributed the spices throughout all the meat..." See more. Aside from that, followed the recipe as written. Would possibly add a little more gravy and add it in layers along with the filling, the filling was too dense for it to filter through so the bottom and top only had gravy. Finally, best in a deep dish pie pan. Everyone at home and at work raved about this recipe. You won't be disappointed."
"Made this chicken pot pie tonight and made individual pies. Everyone loved it. Talked about it the entire night. I've never made a pot pie before, I am definitely adding this to my top list. I totally..." See more recommend this meal!!!!!"
Mom's Fabulous Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuit Crust
Holiday Chicken Pot Pie
Just swipe to see more like this.