My Pickled Little Smokies4 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 3 day 35 min
“These make a great addition to an appetizer tray. I often get a lot of requests to make them from the hubby's crew at the rig.” - by smitty
Original recipe yields 1 quart
- Place the sausages into a saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes, poking sausages with a sharp fork to release fat. Drain and rinse the sausages.
- Place the sausages into a 1-quart glass canning jar.
- Pour white vinegar and water into a saucepan, and stir in the pickling salt, pickling spice, mustard seeds, celery seeds, dill seeds, onion slices, garlic, black peppercorns, and banana pepper rings.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the sausages in the jar; cap the jar, and refrigerate at least 3 days before serving.
Amount Per Serving (10 total)
- 252 cal
- 21.9 g
- 3.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"I want to make pickled sausages like the Penrose brand or a Louisianan brand. I’m not a beginner I’ve been canning and pickling since the late “70’s”. I’ve pickled eggs, beets, green tomatoes, okra et..." See morec. I’ve made this recipe twice and there is no way two 14 ounce packages will fit in a quart jar let alone with onion and banana peppers. The 1st time I followed it exactly and I thought it had way to much spice and the Little Smokies’ shouldn’t be boiled they are a fully cooked product. The second time I didn’t boil them and I cut all spices in ½ added 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes 6 whole garlic cloves, left out the pepper rings. This time they are edible but get a little better now that they have set for a week. I will keep trying to get the recipe I want but this is not it – too many flavors going on and non of it is the sausage. Sorry to poster and thanks for sharing this recipe."
"hi...this is my recipe and i must give it five stars..hope u enjoy/like them!!! i have made these little ones for A LONG time for the dh and his rig crews and family members...have never heard a compl..." See moreaint...they luv 'em...hope u do too;o) and i have been asked for the recipe MANY times over the years...am so grateful to see it published...THANKS AR!!!"
Cheezy Macaroni and Little Smokies
Just swipe to see more like this.