Heather's Fried Chicken7 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 9 hr 25 min
“A wonderful recipe for deep-fried chicken with a Southern taste all its own. The hint of tangy buttermilk under a crispy coating of deliciousness makes this chicken stand out.” - by Heather
Original recipe yields 6 thighs and 6 drumsticks
- Place chicken thighs and drumsticks in a large bowl, cover with cold water, and mix in salt. Cover and refrigerate from 8 hours to overnight.
- Rinse chicken thoroughly. Mix buttermilk, beaten egg, and 1 teaspoon chicken seasoning in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Place chicken pieces into buttermilk mixture and refrigerate 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Place flour and 2 tablespoons chicken seasoning into a shallow bowl and mix until combined. Remove chicken from buttermilk bath, shake off excess buttermilk, and press into flour. Tap off excess flour.
- Gently place chicken into hot oil, 3 or 4 pieces at a time; fry chicken until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes per batch.
- Remove chicken pieces to a cooling rack set over paper towels to remove excess oil before serving.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 946 cal
- 58.1 g
- 52.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (7)Rate This Recipe
"Heather - thank you for your recipe. My Mother in Law would be proud of me - I FRIED CHICKEN! And it was really good.....even though I kind of screwed up - I added 1 Tablespoon chicken seasoning to ..." See morethe buttermilk instead of a teaspoon and I added a teaspoon of seasoning to the flour. Seems, this was an excellent mistake. I took a picture of your recipe - the lighting isn't great, I will try to get another picture tomorrow in the day light....if I don't eat all the chicken first!"
good food, happy family
"This is a pretty good fried chicken recipe for dark meat as written. Next time I am going to try with breast and see how it goes as I prefer white meat. I assume it should taste about the same sinc..." See moree you are in a sense putting the chicken in a brine over night so it shouldn't dry out during the frying"
"Decided to make this chicken dinner for some friends and family, we had been talking about dinners from our childhoods and how what we eat now and what we ate then was so different. When someone poin..." See moreted out that you can still eat the foods from the past just do so on special occaison and in moderation. Just finished dinner and this chicken was wonderful."
Honey-Brined Fried Chicken Breasts
A Southern Fried Chicken
Just swipe to see more like this.