Slow Cooker Chicken Chili with Greens and Beans11 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 6 hr
- Ready In: 6 hr 15 min
“Beans, greens and chicken come together with tomatoes in a thick and creamy broth. This recipe, as with most chili recipes, doesn't need to be exact and can be altered to fit your taste or what you have on hand. The choice of greens is up to you - my first choice is kale, but you can use spinach, turnip greens, collards or a combination (my favorite)! If you use fresh greens, wash and chop them very fine before adding them to the slow cooker.” - by MamaMcGreevy
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Place black beans, white beans, tomatoes, and kale in a slow cooker.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the onion to the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with chili powder, garlic and herb seasoning, and salt.
- Place the chicken breast halves on top, then pour the chicken broth into the slow cooker.
- Cook on Low for 6 hours. Remove the chicken breasts, and shred or cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Stir the shredded chicken back into the chili.
- Stir in the heavy cream, allow to heat for a few minutes, and serve.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 344 cal
- 14.8 g
- 32.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (11)Rate This Recipe
"Wonderful recipe, and had a followed it, would have been perfect! i didn't have chili powder in my cupboard, neither did i have a can of tomoates. I did add some carrot, celery, and bell peppers thoug..." See moreh. I also used fresh flowering oriental kale instead of the frozen green. great idea adding kale to the chili! Thank you!!"
"This was so easy to make on a night I really was too tired to cook anything with a lot of effort. I skipped the kale since my husband does not like it, and added green bell peppers and corn! I also us..." See moreed soy black beans which added a nice flavor to the chili. Great recipe - thanks for sharing!"
"Pretty yummy and a great way to use kale! I used "rotel" tomatoes instead of plain diced, fresh kale instead of frozen, threw in some garlic with the onion, no cream and whatever chili-type seasonings..." See more I had laying around (cumin, paprika etc). Came out great. But noticed the kale ended up soaking up the flavors more than anything else (kale was pretty spicy, while broth and beans mild)."
Chicken Enchilada Slow Cooker Soup
Chicken and Fresh Tomato Slow Cooker Stew
Just swipe to see more like this.