Spicy Chicken Thai Soup52 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“Most of the ingredients for this Thai-inspired soup can be found in the supermarket. The red curry paste is spicy, but by controlling the amount of paste you add, you can tailor this to your own threshold of pain.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Stir lemon grass, garlic, and ginger together in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain chicken broth and set aside. Discard lemon grass, garlic, and ginger.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large soup pot over medium heat; Stir in chicken; cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Stir in red curry paste, fish sauce, and lime juice until combined. Stir in chicken broth and coconut milk; return to a simmer and cook on low for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Skim off any excess oil and fat that rises to the top and discard.
- Stir red onion into the chicken mixture; cook and stir until onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add about 1/2 the cilantro.
- Serve with plates of cilantro, lime wedges, and fresh sliced jalapenos.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 596 cal
- 44.8 g
- 14.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (52)Rate This Recipe
"Really good! I poached this chicken in the broth but did everything else as written...." See more"
"This recipe was delicious. There is something missing from the recipe, in step #5 it says to add the lime juice, but nowhere in the ingredients is lime juice listed other then the limes for garnishme..." See morent. I used 2 tablespoons because I found another thai recipe similiar to this one and that's what it called for. Other then that, I followed this recipe to a T, and it was wonderful. Although, next time I would like a little more heat and will use serrano peppers instead of jalapenos. Also, this is a light soup recipe, and if your looking to make it more hearty try using basmati rice or glass noodle with it. They are both great. Thanks for sharing, will be using this often."
"Seriously delicious and very filling. Two minor changes: (i) 1 1/2 lbs. of skinless, boneless chicken thighs & 1 lb. chicken tenderloins rather than all thighs, and (ii) 4 tsp. red curry paste rather ..." See morethan 2 tsp. Chef John’s video for making this soup is worth watching, and apparently reflects the original way he made it versus this version seemingly altered by AR slightly. Great recipe, great soup . . . grand slam homer, Chef John."
Thai Spicy Basil Chicken Fried Rice
Spicy Chicken Thai Noodle Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.