Slow Cooker Chicken and Sausage Gumbo12 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 6 hr 20 min
- Ready In: 6 hr 40 min
“Compared to other methods of preparing gumbo this one is relatively quick and simple. The results however are top-notch and sure to please. Serve with rice.” - by learntosink
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour to form a thick paste until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the flour turns a dark reddish-brown roux, about 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Pour water into a slow cooker.
- Stir in the roux, sausage, chicken, okra, onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 7 hours.
- Skim off fat with a spoon.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 447 cal
- 33 g
- 13 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (12)Rate This Recipe
"I never had the pleasure of eating gumbo until my sexy and talented cook of a boyfriend made this for me. This recipe is delicious as is, no changes made to the original! This is great on a cold fall ..." See moreday or during Mardi Gras! I love this recipe!! 5 stars!!"
"This was such a delicious dish! However, the first time I made the roux, I burnt it (even though I followed recipe's directions). After searching around the internet on how to make roux, I discovere..." See mored it's not always the easiest thing to make. When I tried again, I didn't cook it the full 15 mins as recipe says - I probably only cooked for 8 mins on medium (after having cooked on med-high for 3 mins). Then, when I took off the burner to cool, I kept whisking for a while to ensure it didn't continue to cook without being stirred (running risk of burning). So, for newbies like me, I would've appreciated more direction on how to make the roux. But, I definitely still give the recipe 5 stars!! It was SO good and is now a family favorite that we'll make often!"
"This was delicious for to be made in the slow cooker. I used butter instead of vegetable oil for the roux and I think that did the trick. I also didn't use cooked chicken, 7 hours in the crock pot was..." See more plenty of time for the chicken to cook so I didn't see the need. So good!"
Chicken Broth in a Slow Cooker
Slow Cooker Chicken and Noodles
Just swipe to see more like this.