Vegan (Say what?!) Gumbo2 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 2 hr
- Ready In: 2 hr 30 min
“Gumbo (a West African word that means 'okra') is traditionally served over long-grain white rice, but feel free to health it up by using brown rice. I was challenged to come up with a vegan gumbo recipe that removed the meat, but kept similar consistency, texture, and that savory, spicy flavor. Laissez les bons temp rouler!” - by Javagoddess
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Stir in the onion, bell peppers, celery, and garlic; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetable mixture to a large bowl; set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1/3 cup canola oil in the same skillet over medium heat for about 30 seconds.
- Whisk in the flour, stirring constantly until the roux darkens and has a nutty scent, about 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and pour in about one cup of vegetable broth, whisking constantly until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the vegetable mixture and tomatoes.
- Pour in about one more cup of vegetable broth, stirring to combine.
- Mix in the eggplant, okra, red beans, salt, thyme, basil, file powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, paprika, cumin, liquid smoke, bay leaves, and remaining 4 cups of broth.
- Cover and continue to simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Amount Per Serving (10 total)
- 211 cal
- 10 g
- 27.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"The only change to look out for is the cayenne pepper. We put just over 1/2 of one teaspoon of cayenne where it calls for 1 1/2. Glad we didn't add more as it was spicy with just that amount. My ad..." See morevice is to add your cayenne gradually and taste. Otherwise, it was delicious!"
Vegan Broccoli Soup
Fire Roasted Vegetarian Gumbo
Just swipe to see more like this.