Slow-Braised Beef and Cherry Tomato Sauce7 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 4 hr
- Ready In: 4 hr 15 min
“This deeply flavored sauce has a special beefiness that only a brisket can bring. Despite being such a slowly cooked dish, the fragrant cherry tomatoes give the sauce a surprisingly bright, fresh flavor and glow.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over high heat. Add beef brisket and salt. Cook and stir until browned.
- Add chicken stock, bay leaf and rosemary. Bring to a simmer, turn to low.
- Place cherry tomatoes, garlic, shallots, and oil in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Add puree to the pot. Add tomato paste. Stir to combine. Return to simmer. Cook on low for 2 1/2 hours with the lid on. Uncover and cook for another hour, simmering on low.
- Add tomato sauce and cream. Stir to combine. Simmer until tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Stir in penne, and return to a boil. Cook pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, but still firm to the bite, about 11 minutes; drain.
- Mix pasta with sauce and serve topped with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 572 cal
- 29.1 g
- 53 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (7)Rate This Recipe
"This is like homemade Chef Boyardee! I found it a bit plain - if you saw the video, definitely spice it up as Chef John suggests. Even following his recommendations, it was still bland. I would also a..." See moredd a generous amount of frozen peas at the end of the cooking time, to help offse the blandness. The meat turned out great. Don't worry about the sauce being too watery - the pasta will suck it all in, and it will actually turn out a bit dry. I'll use less pasta next time."
"This was really yummy! Super important to note that the actual recipe from Chef John's website calls for *prepared tomato sauce*, as in, the jar stuff...not plain tomato sauce from the can!..." See more"
Spaghetti Sauce with Ground Beef
Porcupine Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
Just swipe to see more like this.