Chef John's Classic Beef Stroganoff59 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 1 hr 30 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 45 min
“This is a fairly lean version of beef stroganoff, as most recipes call for more cream. This is something you can easily adjust to your tastes. I like a little thicker version, with just enough sauce to coat the meat and noodles.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Season beef generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat until nearly smoking. Stir in beef; cook, stirring constantly, for 6-7 minutes, until liquid evaporates and meat browns. Remove meat from the pan and set aside.
- Stir butter, mushrooms and onions into the pan; cook and stir over medium heat until the vegetables are lightly browned. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Stir in flour; cook for 1-2 minutes until incorporated.
- Stir in wine and 1 cup of stock, scraping the bottom of the pan to release any browned bits. Bring to a simmer, cook for 3-4 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Return beef to the pan. Stir in remaining cup of stock; bring to a simmer and cook on low heat for about 1 hour with the lid on, until the beef is tender and the sauce is thick. Stir every 20 minutes.
- Stir in creme fraiche. Stir in chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 307 cal
- 24.5 g
- 4.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (59)Rate This Recipe
"I cannot afford beef chuck roast right now, I used beef stew meat instead. I also did not have creme fraiche, I used sour cream instead. You could not tell that I used beef stew meat, the meat turned ..." See moreout very tender and juicy. My family all said that this is their favorite stroganoff yet. I served the boys' portions over buttered egg noodles, I ate my portion over steamed garlic broccoli as I'm trying to watch my carb intake."
"My family loved this! I didn't have time to make creme fraiche so I used sour cream. Next time I would like to make it using the creme fraiche. Don't forget to butter your noodles. This is so much ..." See morebetter than my recipe using cream of mushroom soup. Highly recommend! You will not be disappointed."
Rich and Creamy Beef Stroganoff
Easy Beef Stroganoff
Just swipe to see more like this.