3-Cheese Eggplant Lasagna13 Reviews
- Prep: 40 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 25 min
“This recipe is chock full of great vegetables. Measurements of spices vary according to our taste; you should always adjust recipes to your own preferences!” - by CandaceHartDC
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Sprinkle both sides of eggplant slices with 2 tablespoons salt, and layer them in a large baking dish with paper towels between each layer.
- Place a smaller baking dish on top of the eggplant slices, and weigh it down with several heavy food cans. Let sit for at least an hour or until the paper towels are visibly moist.
- Rinse eggplant slices with fresh water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat and pour in 2 tablespoons of canola oil.
- Working in batches if necessary, cook both sides of eggplant slices until they are slightly browned, about 5 minutes per side. Set cooked eggplant aside.
- Prepare sauce by combining the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and black pepper in a separate bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add frozen spinach and shredded carrots to onion. Cook until mixture is dry, 5 to 8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Combine ricotta cheese, eggs, Romano cheese, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a separate bowl.
- Spoon cooled spinach and carrot mixture into ricotta mixture and combine.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Begin lasagna assembly by pouring a thin layer of tomato sauce into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Place half the eggplant slices in a layer on top of tomato sauce.
- Spread half the ricotta cheese mixture on top of eggplant layer.
- Add another layer of tomato sauce, then layer on the remaining eggplant slices and remaining ricotta mixture.
- Finish with a final layer of tomato sauce, and spread mozzarella cheese over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until the mozzarella cheese is browned. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 289 cal
- 16.1 g
- 22 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (13)Rate This Recipe
"I never had eggplant before but I was plesantly suprised. This recipe is delicious. My fiancé is a vegetarian so I get tired of pasta and this was a great change of pace. I think the only thing I add..." See moreed was a minced clove if garlic to the spinach mixture. My only beef with this recipe is the labor. It took hours. Definitely not a weeknight meal. I think next time in the interest of time I will brown the eggplant on a sheet in the oven as suggested by my fiancé. 2 eggplants yields quite a few slices. Browning 5 minutes on each side takes ages. I may also use spaghetti sauce instead of the crushed tomato mixture just to see the difference. If your on your own preparing this, give yourself some time."
"This was fantastic! My boyfriend and I aren't huge eggplant fans and he loves meat, but this was delish! I ate what was left for lunch the next few days-- it kept getting better! Alot of prep, so if y..." See moreou're short on time, this may not be the recipe for you!"
Irresistible Eggplant Lasagna
Just swipe to see more like this.