Kimmy's Favorite Sweet and Sour Chicken8 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 35 min
“Sweet, tangy, and satisfying. The chicken is stir fried instead of battered and deep fried, and is served with a yummy sauce, bell pepper, carrots, onion, and pineapple over rice.” - by ad6faith
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Marinate chicken cubes in soy sauce in a bowl for 30 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet on medium-high heat.
- Remove chicken from soy sauce and cook and stir in the heated skillet until no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear.
- Remove chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Heat vinegar, sugar and 1/2 cup water together over medium heat in the same skillet until the sugar dissolves.
- Combine cornstarch and 1/2 cup water in a bowl and add to the vinegar mixture.
- Stir mixture and lower heat to medium-low.
- Pour pineapple juice and tomato soup into vinegar mixture and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in carrots, onion, and bell pepper.
- Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes; until sauce is reddish-yellow and the vegetables are cooked.
- Add the pineapple chunks and cooked chicken to the sauce and heat for 2 to 4 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 432 cal
- 8.7 g
- 59.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (8)Rate This Recipe
"Very good. Used "lite" soy sauce. Chicken stock in place of water and slightly less sugar which made it sweet enough.Everything else followed exact. Use 1/3 CAN of tomato soup and divide the rest into..." See more two labeled ziplock bags and freeze for the next time...no point in wasting it and all you'll have to do the next time is throw the frozen "chunk" of soup in when it's time. Will definitely make this again."
"My family and I enjoyed this a lot. Thankfully, I read the reviews before I made it, so I was able to make the modifications that I felt were appropriate. I added 2 tbsps. of ginger to the marinade. I..." See more also used equal parts sugar and vinegar, and added all the juice from a 20 oz. can of pineapple chunks. (I only used half the can of pineapples, though. The rest are sitting in the fridge for a healthy midnight snack later.) I completely omitted the tomato soup and carrots as my family is not a fan of either ingredient. Next time I make it (and there will DFEINITELY be a next time) I am going to dredge the chicken pieces, and add the bell pepper with the chicken and pineapples. I love when the recipes I find here actually work!!"
Sweet and Sour Chicken I
Chicken With Sweet and Sour Fig Sauce
Just swipe to see more like this.