Chef John's Sausage & Shrimp Jambalaya98 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“While true jambalaya is really more of a thicker rice stew than a soup, it's one of those dishes that more stock can be added to easily make it into a soup recipe.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Place butter and sausage in a large stockpot over medium heat; cook and stir for 5-6 minutes until sausage begins to brown.
- Stir in paprika, cumin and cayenne; cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, onions, celery, green pepper, salt, and bay leaf.
- Add brown rice and stir to combine. Stir in chicken stock and turn heat to low. Cover and cook for 45 minutes, or until the rice is just tender.
- Stir in shrimp, replace lid and cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve garnished with green onion.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 495 cal
- 25.2 g
- 37.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (98)Rate This Recipe
"I love me some Chef John. This was a really great recipe; I just modified it a bit based on taste preference and ingredient availability. Instead of butter I just used olive oil, and since I couldn't ..." See morefind Andouille, I just bought a different smoked sausage. I added some hot sauce for a bit of extra heat, I used a large can of diced tomates, I used two green peppers instead of one, I used wild rice instead of brown, and I used chicken instead of shrimp. Tasted quite delicious!"
"The portions are relatively small...keep that in mind when deciding on the # of portions. I doubled the amount of tomatoes and it was just right... This is now my favorite Jambalaya recipe....next ti..." See moreme I am adding chicken in place of or in addition to shrimp...."
Chef John's Ham and Potato Soup
Chef John's New Orleans-Style Barbequed Shrimp
Just swipe to see more like this.