Chef John's Buttermilk Fried Chicken66 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 25 min
- Ready In: 6 hr 45 min
“I love the tangy tenderization that the buttermilk provides. After the buttermilk soak, dredge the chicken pieces in seasoned flour, and fry them in hot oil until crisp and cooked.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 4 Servings
- Toss together chicken pieces, black pepper, salt, paprika, rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage, white pepper, and cayenne in a large bowl to coat.
- Stir in buttermilk until chicken is coated. Refrigerate for 6 hours.
- Combine flour, salt, paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, white pepper, and onion powder in a large shallow dish.
- Remove chicken from the buttermilk and dredge each piece in the seasoned flour. Shake off any excess and transfer to a plate.
- Heat peanut oil in a large Dutch oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Add all the chicken to the pan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn chicken pieces and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the oil and transfer to a cooling rack set over a paper towel lined baking sheet. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 1262 cal
- 85 g
- 55.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (66)Rate This Recipe
"This fried chicken receipe is absoultly fantastic,if you take your time get all your ingredients together in two groups,it is easy to make. It smells so good while it is cooking,and the taste is truly..." See more unbelievable.And so moist and juicy.I will make this receipe over and over.Thanks Chef John for sharing. The receipe looks intimidating but it isn't. Try it you will see how easy it is,and the taste is the best fried chicken ever."
"This was not a difficult recipe. I did use boneless chicken and followed everything else. I worked fine. This is not the BEST fried chicken I have had, but it was tasty and nice and crispy. I did not ..." See moreneed 2 cups of buttermilk, so just pour in as much as you need to cover the chicken good. The rest of the ingredients I used the same. I used about 2 inches of oil to fry in and let it get good and brown."
"This is absolutely the best fried chicken recipe ever! The outside is crispy & the meat is moist & tender. I made it exactly as directed except used boneless, skinless breasts, cut into thirds. My hus..." See moreband wants me to make this again (like tomorrow) & I'm happy to obilige. Thank you for this terrific recipe!"
Chef John's Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Buttermilk Potato Fried Chicken
Just swipe to see more like this.