Buttermilk Strawberry Shortcake39 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 5 min
“A light biscuit topped with delicious strawberries.” - by Emmie4life
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, 1/3 cup white sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Cut in cold butter with a knife or pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. (If desired, place flour mixture into the work bowl of a food processor with the butter; pulse several times to cut butter into the flour mixture. Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl, and proceed.)
- Stir in buttermilk until the flour mixture is moistened.
- Drop 1/3-cup scoops of the dough 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush biscuits with heavy cream and sprinkle generously with turbinado sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Mix together the sliced strawberries, 1/4 cup white sugar, and lemon juice in a large bowl. Allow berries to rest until juices develop, about 30 minutes.
- Serve the strawberries with juice over the biscuits.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 322 cal
- 13.2 g
- 47.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (39)Rate This Recipe
"What a simple, easy, and delicious dessert! I had some buttermilk I had to use up and this was just perfect. For the shortcakes, I froze the butter and grated it which is much easier. After dropping t..." See morehese onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and did an egg wash (one egg well beaten with 1 Tbsp. of water) and then topped it off with the turbinado sugar which provided a nice little crunch. These baked up beautifully and tasted wonderful. I served them with "Easy Whipped Cream" from this site. This recipe is a definite keeper!"
"Great simple, easy and delicious recipe. I sliced some of the strawberries ahead of time in order for the juice to form. The only ingredient change I made was to sprinkle with light brown sugar inste..." See moread of turbinado. A word of caution, watch the baking time. While the recipe does not require whipped cream, I did add it on the side. Going in my favorite recipe file. Thanks Emmie4life for sharing your recipe here on Allrecipes."
"Fantastic! These are light, wonderful shortcake biscuits. The only changes I made to the recipe was to decrease the baking powder to 3 teaspoons and I used white sugar on top of the biscuits because ..." See moreI did not have turbinado sugar. Just ate one with my strawberries and these are delicious! A must keep recipe!"
Gluten-Free Strawberry Shortcake
Chocolate Chip Strawberry Shortcake
Just swipe to see more like this.