Quick and Easy Black Bean Soup45 Reviews
- Prep: 5 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 50 min
“All you need is a couple cans of beans, an onion, some bacon, and spices to whip up this simple but delicious soup.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Place bacon in a cold pot. Turn heat to medium, cook and stir until the bacon is cooked but not crisp.
- Stir in onion; cook and stir for 5 minutes, until the onion turns translucent and golden.
- Stir in garlic; cook for 2-3 minutes. Add chicken stock, turn heat to medium-high. Stir in oregano, cayenne and salt. Add black beans and water. Return to a simmer.
- Simmer on medium-low, stirring occasionally, for 20-30 minutes. While it's cooking, mash about half the beans to thicken the soup.
- Stir in black pepper and cumin. Add salt to taste.
- Make the relish by stirring together minced green onion, sambal paste, and lime juice.
- Serve garnished with relish, chopped green onions, and sour cream.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 328 cal
- 9.1 g
- 44 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (45)Rate This Recipe
"This was quite good. I left out the bacon to cut calories and replaced the can of water with more chicken broth to up the flavor. Came out delicious. Do make the garnish and use either sour cream or y..." See moreogurt to top it off. Black beans are so healthy so any way to incorporate them into your diet is a winner - if it's tasty too than all the better!"
"Best Black Bean soup I've ever had! BONUS: I made it! :) I used low sodium beans, but followed the recipe exactly and the result was perfection! I didn't even make the relish, but I did use sour ..." See morecream. It was a big hit with the hubby too."
Vegan Black Bean Soup
Brazilian Black Bean Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.