Chef John's Ultimate Steak Sandwich3 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 35 min
“In this non-traditional steak sandwich, the steak is cut into thick strips, so we're able to get a nice sear on the outside without having to worry about the inside overcooking.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat, and lightly oil the grate.
- Cut steak into 6 thick strips. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Grill mushrooms for 5-6 minutes over medium-high heat until they begin to wilt. Remove the stem end to separate the mushrooms.
- Stir mushrooms in a bowl with salt and pepper, sherry vinegar, and extra virgin olive oil. Set aside.
- Grill steaks for 3-4 minutes per side over medium-high heat, until medium rare or to desired doneness. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 140 degrees F (60 degrees C). Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together barbeque sauce, cider vinegar and vegetable oil. Set aside.
- Serve grilled steaks on hot dog buns with mayonnaise, arugula, cherry tomatoes, grilled mushrooms, and barbeque sauce mixture.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 635 cal
- 42.4 g
- 27.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"This is the BEST steak sandwich I have ever had in my long life. Amazing! I did have to change it up due to my inability to get some of the ingredients. I had to use small crimini mushrooms because I ..." See morecouldn't find the other. I had to use romaine and a little rocket because I couldn't find any decent arugula today either. I could not find flat iron so I used my much prized prime NY strips well trimmed instead. Now don't go crazy on me folks because I made do with what I had. Loved the sauce and the mushrooms and everything else about this. This is fabulous! Sparky said he wants to have it weekly. Thanks for sharing Chef John!"
Sensational Steak Sandwich
Kings Flat Iron Steak Sandwich
Just swipe to see more like this.