Oyster Stew Christmas Eve Recipe3 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 35 min
“Oyster Stew has always traditionally been served by my mother and her Hollingsworth family roots from Georgia every Christmas Eve. The colors of red and green are very Christmas-like. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.” - by ELAINE92
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until it begins to foam.
- Cook and stir the celery, onion, and red bell pepper in the hot butter until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir the half-and-half and parsley through the vegetable mixture; season with salt and black pepper.
- Continue cooking until the mixture just begins to boil; add the oysters and any liquid from the can to the stew along with Louisiana-style hot sauce. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until the oysters begin to curl, 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and allow the stew to sit 5 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 352 cal
- 30.3 g
- 11.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"This is very good. I add a dash of salt and a lot of freshly ground black pepper. The hot sauce makes this great. This is very good with some small diced potatoes as well...." See more"
"very colorful, but too different that no one wanted to touch it; they all went for the chili and chicken noodle soup, instead...." See more"
"This made a yummy Oyster Stew for Christmas Eve. Hubby especially loved the huge oysters. I thought it would have been better if they had been chopped, but he said then they wouldn't really taste li..." See moreke oysters. The only change we would suggest is that you should add a little flour to the sauteed vegatable mixture (mirpoix) to make it into not quite a rue, this would help the fat blend better into the stew. Cook the veggies down until they are almost transluscent, add about a teaspoon of flour and cook until the flour is no longer raw (a minute or two at most), then continue with the recipe as written."
Marshall's Dreamy Oyster Stew
Just swipe to see more like this.