My Asparagus Casserole6 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 35 min
- Ready In: 55 min
“I had some wonderful asparagus that I found at a farmer's market that I wanted to use as a main dish. I found a recipe for an asparagus casserole that looked intriguing. I didn't have as much fresh asparagus as the recipe called for, so I decided to add green beans to the mix, along with a few other items to really give this casserole a bit more substance. This was the best casserole of any kind that I think I've ever had. My husband hasn't been able to stop eating it either, even the next day!” - by Tammi
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Place asparagus spears into a large skillet and pour in about 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil, cover skillet, and steam until the asparagus is very tender, about 20 minutes, adding more water if needed. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Lay the asparagus into the bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Whisk together cream of mushroom soup and chicken broth in a bowl; pour half the soup mixture over the asparagus.
- Sprinkle in half the diced ham.
- Spread cracker crumbs evenly over the ham.
- Spread green beans over the cracker crumbs.
- Pour remaining soup mixture over the casserole and sprinkle on the remaining ham.
- Arrange French-fried onions over the top of the casserole, and cover the casserole with a lid.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the casserole is bubbling, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and sprinkle Cheddar cheese over the casserole in an even layer.
- Return to oven without covering casserole; bake until the cheese is melted, another 5 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 556 cal
- 37 g
- 37.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (6)Rate This Recipe
"I moderated the proportions of ingredients somewhat but the combination of flavors is 5 star tasty! First of all there seemed to be too much liquid in the recipe for a 2 quart casserole, and I found ..." See morethat 1 can of soup and 1/2 cup of chicken broth were perfect for us. I also cut the shredded cheese to one cup and mixed half with the other ingredients and sprinkled the rest on top. Also, due to preference/laziness I cut the asparagus into bite size pieces and mixed the ingredients (except for the onions) rather than layered them. Still, I want to emphasize that we loved the casserole, and will make regularly. Thanks!"
"This was really good! A better version of green bean casserole. Next time I think I'm going to cut the asparagus spears to the same length of the green beans...." See more"
"I omitted the ham because I was using this as a side dish, & halved the soup & cheese, plus I mixed everything together, rather than layering(topped w/the fried onions). It was VERY good! It does remi..." See morend me of green bean casserole, but has more of the asparagus flavor & texture."
Asparagus and Mushroom Casserole
Bo's Asparagus Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.