Special Green Bean Bake1 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 1 hr 45 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 15 min
“This is one my favorite green bean side dishes. It has been in my family for a very long time. It goes great with pot roast and potatoes. It's almost like a green bean relish. Not your ordinary green bean dish! Even better left over. I've also added rinsed and drained water chestnuts for some crunch.” - by white1969
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate, reserving about 1 tablespoon bacon drippings in the skillet. Crumble bacon.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
- Cook and stir the onion in the reserved bacon drippings over medium-high heat until onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Combine cooked onion, sugar, cider vinegar, relish, pimento peppers, and green beans in a large bowl.
- Transfer mixture to a baking dish and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until browned, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove foil and stir lightly.
- Allow green beans to rest for 15 minutes before topping with crumbled bacon and serving.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 175 cal
- 6.3 g
- 24.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1)Rate This Recipe
"I was leary of the relish, but I followed the recipe accordingly. I'm not sure I understand the reason for baking this dish. After baking it as directed, it never browned. When we ate it, it reminded ..." See moreme of a bean salad but it was too tart for us. It had a very good taste, just too much vinegar. If I make this again, I will cut back on the amount of vinegar and sugar too. Instead of baking it, I will refrigerate it and let it sit for a few hours until chilled before I serve it, or wait until the next day. :)"
Sweet Green Bean Bundles
Twisted Green Bean Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.