Beef Mushroom Barley Soup16 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 3 hr 10 min
- Ready In: 3 hr 25 min
“Family favorite. It kind of turns into a type of stew as the barley soaks up much of the beef stock. Best part is that it gets better with age, so make plenty and enjoy throughout the week! It's always better the second day, so you might want to cook it one day, refrigerate it overnight, and then cook it again the next day.” - by Wendellian
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Cook beef stew meat in a large skillet over medium heat until completely browned, 5 to 7 minutes; transfer to a large soup pot.
- Heat vegetable oil in the same skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion, celery, and carrot in the hot oil until the onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the vegetable mixture to the beef in the pot.
- Pour beef stock into the pot.
- Stir pearl barley into the stock.
- Place soup over medium-low heat, bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef is completely tender, about 2 hours.
- Stir mushrooms through the soup; cook 1 hour more.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 554 cal
- 25.3 g
- 43.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (16)Rate This Recipe
"this is the best beef stew I've found (since our old family classic). I left out the mushrooms, only because I forgot to buy some fresh... I did add a little dash of kitchen bouquet, and added more ca..." See morerrots/celery. Two thumbs up!"
"This was awesome just the way it is. I used a quick cooking barley, so I didn't add that till the last hour when I added the mushrooms. Going to try it with some red wine in it next time. It is imp..." See moreortant to use beef STOCK and not broth. They are not the same..."
Very Easy Mushroom Barley Soup
Beefy Mushroom Barley Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.