Eggplant and Ground Beef Lasagna8 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 1 hr 5 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 min
“I couldn't decide if I wanted lasagna or moussaka the other night; this came out as a yummy combo of the two! Spinach lasagna noodles work well in this if you can get them. Also, try ground lamb in place of the beef for another variation.” - by Bethany T.
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease the bottom and sides of 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a rolling boil. Cook the lasagna noodles at a boil until tender yet firm to the bite, about 10 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Cook and stir ground beef, onion, mushrooms, and garlic in a skillet over medium heat until the beef is completely browned, about 10 minutes.
- Stir canned tomatoes into ground beef; simmer until sauce has formed, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour about one-fourth of the sauce into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Layer noodles on top of sauce.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce on top of noodles.
- Place a layer of eggplant slices on top of noodle and sauce layer.
- Sprinkle about one-fourth of the cheese on top of eggplant slices.
- Repeat layering with remaining ingredients, until ending with a layer of sauce topped with remaining cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven until cheese is bubbly and brown on top, about 40 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 256 cal
- 9.7 g
- 26.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (8)Rate This Recipe
"I have made lasagne many times but this is the first time I added eggplant. I made the recipe exactly as written and this was delicious...." See more"
"I have had a lapband for several years. It makes it impossible to enjoy lasagne as it gets stuck. This recipe which I made last night, with one small deviation, is the answer to my prayers for a gre..." See moreat "lasagne.". The eggplant makes a wonderful substitute for lasagne noodles. I added a palmful of Italian seasoning. Shredded Parmesan cheese to top of the richness. The recipe is a wonderful base recipe. We didn't miss the noodles at all. This is great for gluten free diets also. Thanks for sharing!"
"I made a few changes. I used jarred spaghetti sauce instead of canned tomatoes to get more flavor. I used the same amount of sauce as I would have used in tomatoes. It needed more sauce (as someone..." See more else also mentioned). So I had to add more. The other change I made was to use a different shredded cheese. I opted for an Italian 5 cheese blend as husband doesn't care for cheddar. It was a nice lasagna. However, the eggplant did not get cooked. (even with increasing the cooking time) I sliced it thin too. Next time I may either cube it and cook with the beef and sauce, or may pan fry it slightly before baking."
Spaghetti Sauce with Ground Beef
Irresistible Eggplant Lasagna
Just swipe to see more like this.