Southern Macaroni and Cheese Pie16 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 55 min
“Macaroni and Cheese Pie is a staple of all good Southern family dinners, church dinners and socials.” - by dameionec
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Spray a 9x13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Stir in the macaroni and return to a boil. Cook pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until it has cooked through but is still slightly firm, about 8 minutes; drain.
- Slowly melt butter in a large pot over low heat. Stir in evaporated milk and black pepper; cook until heated through.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl until smooth; whisk about 1/2 cup of the evaporated milk mixture into the eggs, 1 tablespoon at a time, until thoroughly incorporated. Whisk the egg mixture back into the saucepan with evaporated milk mixture. Continue to heat gently, whisking constantly, until the evaporated milk mixture almost comes to a simmer and the sauce thickens.
- Gently mix salt and cooked macaroni into the sauce and stir to combine.
- Spoon 1/4 of the macaroni mixture in a layer into the bottom of the prepared casserole dish and top with 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese. Repeat layers three more times; top last cheese layer with paprika to taste.
- Bake in the preheated oven until casserole is bubbling, about 20 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 621 cal
- 43.1 g
- 29.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (16)Rate This Recipe
"Just like what Grandma used to make! If the other reviewer had lumpy sauce they didn't culture the eggs as instructed 1 Tablespoon at a time. I have been looking for a Mac n Cheese recipe like my Gr..." See moreandmother made and this is as close as I remember. Thanks for sharing!"
"This was fantastic! I used the dish it called for, but in doing so, was unable to make all of the layers! I topped with just a little bit of bread crumbs and it was amazing, even microwaved the second..." See more time! I think next time I will use an 8 inch square pan instead! Oh, and just a little heads up, even on heat setting three, it took a little while for it to start to thicken up, but hang in there, it's totally worth it!!"
Danny's Macaroni and Cheese
Church Supper Macaroni and Cheese
Just swipe to see more like this.