Penne with Creamy Pesto Sauce1 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 55 min
“This is a recipe I concocted with ingredients on hand, including my homemade pesto. My family loved it! Serve vegetarian or top with a cooked chicken breast.” - by lompoc sheri
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Stir in penne and return to a boil. Cook pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until cooked through but still slightly firm, about 11 minutes; drain.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook and stir broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms, onion, garlic, and 1/2 cup pine nuts until the broccoli and asparagus are tender, about 8 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and stir in flour and 1 teaspoon salt until smooth. Slowly whisk in milk until thoroughly combined, bring to a simmer, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer sauce, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat and whisk in prepared pesto. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Pour pesto sauce into skillet with broccoli mixture; gently stir in penne pasta until thoroughly combined. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon pine nuts to serve.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 530 cal
- 26.5 g
- 56.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1)Rate This Recipe
"It was good but the portions were off. I had to add extra milk to make enough sauce for all the pasta, For extra flavor I added a half a can of chicken stock and let it cook down a little. But I enjoy..." See moreed it."
Pesto Chicken Penne Casserole
Penne with Red Pepper Sauce and Broccoli
Just swipe to see more like this.