Red and Green Velvet Cake!2 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 25 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 min
“I wanted to make something creative for Christmas, but I didn't want to make a simple red velvet cake. So this is what I came up with! A very colorful red and green velvet cake! This is fairly simple, and meant to prevent dirtying up a lot of dishes.” - by arielxxlynn
Original recipe yields 1 9x12-inch sheet cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease a 9x13-inch sheet pan.
- Mash vegetable shortening and sugar together in a large bowl until smooth and creamy; beat in eggs until fully incorporated.
- Stir buttermilk, cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla extract into the shortening mixture until the liquid ingredients are an even color and texture.
- Sift flour into the liquid ingredients until combined.
- Pour half the batter into a separate bowl.
- Lightly stir red food color into one bowl of batter and green food color into the other bowl of batter.
- Quickly fold 3/4 teaspoon baking soda and 1 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar into the bowl of red batter; quickly fold 3/4 teaspoon baking soda and 1 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar into the bowl of green batter.
- Pour the red and green batters into the prepared sheet pan in alternating colors.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the cake is lightly browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 290 cal
- 9.9 g
- 46.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"thanx soo much for an excellent recpie..i used canola oil instead of shortening and cake turned out superb.. i made it all in fushia color! in a 15x9 inch tin and then cut it in half and applied yello..." See morew frosting.. everybody enjoyed"
Gluten Free Red Velvet Cake
Red Velvet Cake I
Just swipe to see more like this.