Mom's Irish Soda Bread4 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 55 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“Authentic Irish soda bread does not contain raisins, but I like mine with raisins so I include them. This is a very easy and delicious recipe.” - by Katie O'
Original recipe yields 1 loaf
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the buttermilk into a small bowl; place remainder of 1 cup buttermilk into a separate bowl.
- Stir golden raisins into the larger amount of buttermilk and allow raisins to soak while you complete the remaining steps.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the melted butter into the small bowl with the tablespoon of buttermilk; stir to combine and set aside. Set remaining melted butter aside.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour in reserved butter, and stir until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Mix the egg into the flour mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Mix the soaked raisins with buttermilk into dough and shape dough into a ball.
- Place the ball of dough into prepared pie dish and lightly pat dough down so top is slightly domed.
- Use a sharp knife to cut two crisscrossing lines through the center of the loaf about 1/4 inch deep.
- Thoroughly brush buttermilk and butter mixture over the loaf, getting the mixture into the crevices.
- Bake in the preheated oven until loaf is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 55 minutes to 1 hour.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 305 cal
- 8.8 g
- 51.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"The raisins make it very sweet. It's like a giant biscuit. Perfect with corned beef and cabbage...." See more"
"I left out the golden raisins but otherwise made no modifications. Excellent, I really enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing!..." See more"
Nana Dot's Irish Soda Bread
Amazingly Easy Irish Soda Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.