O'Kee's Irish Soda Oatmeal Bread2 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 35 min
- Ready In: 12 hr 50 min
“This bread is delicious. Plan ahead 12 hours!” - by danakee
Original recipe yields 2 loaves
- Mix rolled oats, buttermilk, and molasses in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Whisk together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar until combined; pour flour mixture into buttermilk mixture and stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly-floured work surface and knead 3 or 4 times until dough holds its shape.
- Cut dough in half; pat each half into a 6-inch round loaf.
- Use a sharp knife to deeply score each loaf in quarters, cutting 1-inch deep.
- Wrap each loaf in plastic wrap and allow to stand at least 12 hours at room temperature to ferment. (Loaves can be refrigerated up to 2 more days after this, if desired.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place loaves on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake loaves for 15 minutes and reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue to bake until loaves are browned and make a hollow sound when tapped on the bottom, about 20 more minutes.
- Allow breads to cool for 10 minutes before slicing. To serve, slice loaves 3/4-inch thick all across the loaf, then cut slices in half.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 295 cal
- 2.2 g
- 60.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"I added vinegar to soy milk to make the buttermilk, and used spelt flout instead of ap flour. This is definitely worth making! My family really enjoyed this!..." See more"
Best Ever Irish Soda Bread
Irish Brown Soda Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.