Irish Brown Bread7 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 min
“This is a delicious brown bread closest to what we ate while in Ireland. It isn't Irish soda bread, which has a completely different taste and texture. We LOVE this recipe!” - by JULAINE59
Original recipe yields 1 loaf
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Mix all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture forms fine crumbs.
- Stir whole-wheat flour and quick-cooking oatmeal into the butter mixture.
- Gently stir yogurt into the oatmeal mixture. If mixture is too dry to hold together, add 1 teaspoon milk at a time, just until dough holds together; it should not be sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface; knead gently about 5 times to form a ball.
- Place the dough in the center of the prepared baking sheet; cut a large 'X' in the top of the loaf.
- Bake in preheated oven until well browned, about 40 minutes; transfer to a rack to cool. Bread can be served warm or cold.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 150 cal
- 2.1 g
- 28.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (7)Rate This Recipe
"This recipie is fabulous. The ingredient list is perfect, I didn't change a thing. My two older neighbors (one German the other Irish) as well as my entire family really liked this quick hearty brea..." See mored."
Nana Dot's Irish Soda Bread
Irish Brown Soda Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.