Chef John's Pineapple Upside-Down Cake45 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 min
“This iconic American dessert looks like a simple, rustic fruit cobbler when it comes out of the oven, all browned and bubbling, but a few minutes later, when it's turned over and that gloriously caramelized surface is revealed, it becomes so much more.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 1 12-inch cake
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium-low heat. Stir in brown sugar, pineapple juice, and dark rum. Cook over medium-low heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture is bubbling, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and spread pineapple slices in a layer over the brown sugar mixture, completely covering the mixture. Set skillet aside.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in small skillet over low heat until the butter begins to brown and release a nutty fragrance, about 5 minutes. Watch carefully, butter burns easily. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together flour, cardamom, salt, baking powder, and white sugar in a large bowl. Whisk in egg and cold milk until just combined. Pour in melted butter and stir to mix thoroughly.
- Pour batter over the pineapple slices in the skillet; spread evenly to cover.
- Bake in preheated oven until the cake begins to bubble around the edges, the top is browned, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in the skillet for 10 minutes.
- Loosen the cake from the skillet by running a knife around the inside edge of the cake. Invert a large plate over the top of the skillet and flip over, releasing the cake to show the pineapple slices on top.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 263 cal
- 12.3 g
- 35.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (45)Rate This Recipe
"UNBELIEVABLE!! This cake is absolutely amazing and so easy to make. It was gone in 10 minutes at my house. Very earthy and fulfilling. I'll be making this again and again...It is "The perfect desert"..." See more"
"So I watched the video of this recipe that was posted on the home page, and decided to try it...Had to improvise a bit (apologies to you review purists) used Capt. Morgans spiced rum and had no pineap..." See moreple juice since I used pre-sliced fresh pineapple in a plastic container and it had a little sponge on the bottom which stole all the juice. Subbed OJ. Subbed a few dashes of cinnamon and nutmeg for cardamom (personal preference). My skillet was a bit larger than 12 inches, so my batter just barely covered the pineapple and cooked up in about 20-25 minutes. Very tasty - very buttery"
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake VII
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake III
Just swipe to see more like this.