Easter Lemon Bread2 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 40 min
“This was my grandmother's recipe. Don't know why they call it bread; it's a lemon pound cake. Every time I make it, I am always asked for the recipe.” - by SKYTE
Original recipe yields 2 loaves
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour 2 loaf pans.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- Beat the butter and 2 1/2 cups sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until light and fluffy. The mixture should be noticeably lighter in color. Add the room-temperature eggs one at a time, allowing each egg to blend into the butter mixture before adding the next. Beat in the almond extract with the last egg.
- Pour in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing until just incorporated. Fold in the lemon zest and chopped walnuts, mixing just enough to evenly combine. Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the loaves are very lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, 60 to 70 minutes.
- Mix the lemon juice with the 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl until the sugar has dissolved. Pour the lemon glaze over the hot cakes; allow to stand for 10 minutes before removing cakes from the pans. Cool before serving.
Amount Per Serving (20 total)
- 286 cal
- 9.8 g
- 46.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"I gave this 4 stars because I wanted a more lemony flavour. It is a great cake mix. I made it a second time and took out 6Tbs of the 1c of milk and added lemon juice in its place. I also used 1c of..." See more whole wheat flour & 2c all purpose and reduced the sugar to just under 2 cups. It was super moist and really lemony, just the way I like it."
"Delicious! I cut the recipe in half and it baked up beautifully. The glaze at the end was not soaking in so I carefully poked the sides of the loaf with a fork and swirled the juice around. I had ..." See morea surplus of lemons and not a lot of butter so this recipe was a good match. Will definitely make again but with a bit less sugar. Bonus: my husband also found this cake delicious."
Lemon Blueberry Bread
Glazed Lemon Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.