Crispiest Apple Crisp15 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 22 min
- Ready In: 47 min
“The secret ingredient in this apple crisp is Grape Nuts®. This extremely crispy and crunchy breakfast cereal does some amazing things to your basic oatmeal-based fruit crisp topping mixture.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Toss sliced apples with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Mix flour, rolled oats, wheat and barley nugget cereal, melted butter, 1/4 cup white sugar, and 1/4 cup brown sugar together in a large bowl.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup white sugar, and cinnamon into melted butter until sugar begins to dissolve, 3 to 4 minutes. Add apples and water; continue cooking and stirring until apples soften and are coated with sauce, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Pour apples and sugar mixture into a 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle topping evenly over the apple filling.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the top is browned and the filling is bubbling up around the edges, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 364 cal
- 15.1 g
- 58.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (15)Rate This Recipe
"Made this today for Easter dinner. WAAAAY too sweet and buttery. Would be so much better with half the sugar and butter, and twice the apples. The flavor was good, just too rich and sweet. The Grap..." See moree Nuts is a good addition though.....oh well. :/"
"Excellent apple crisp!! I watched the video of Chef John preparing it and went exclusively on my own measurements (before I found the written recipe) and it turned out absolutely fabulous! I added 1..." See more 1/2 lemon juice and more cinnamon, nutmeg & vanilla. I highly recommend this recipe! So good with vanilla ice cream!!"
Apple Crisp with Oat Topping
Family Favorite Apple Crisp
Just swipe to see more like this.