Pinto Bean and Sausage Soup7 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 2 hr
- Ready In: 10 hr 20 min
“The woman who owned and made the soups at my favorite deli was retiring. I asked her why, and she said, 'I'm an old lady, I'm tired of getting up early for work.' She gave me the recipe to one of my favorites. I made a few tweaks, it's DELICIOUS.” - by chefJ
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Cover pinto beans with water in a bowl and allow to soak overnight. Drain.
- Melt butter in a 6-quart stock pot over medium heat. Cook and stir onion and celery in butter until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir garlic into onion mixture until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Stir beef broth, tomato juice, sugar, and drained pinto beans into the vegetable mixture and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until beans are tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Mix potatoes, carrots, oregano, salt, and black pepper into the bean soup; simmer until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes more.
- Preheat the oven's broiler and set the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source.
- Place smoked sausage on a baking sheet.
- Bake sausage in the preheated oven until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Cut sausage into quarters, then slice. Add sausage and parsley to the soup; continue to simmer for 10 more minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 444 cal
- 17.1 g
- 52 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (7)Rate This Recipe
"Made this soup again this evening. Allrecipies made horrible edits to my recipie and I get bad reviews. 6, 7, and 8 are all one step. It's simply setting the oven to broil, place sausage on brolier..." See more pan, and broil until brown, about 10 minutes. After I cut the sausage in quarters/slices I pat them down in paper towels to remove the grease."
"I make this constantly and here is a trick that I use. Immediately after cooking according to it's posted recipe, I transfer this entire soup to a Crock Pot and continue to slow cook it until it thick..." See moreens to a "stew consistency". I then serve it over white rice and sprinkle it with white Cojita Mexican cheese. It is delicious and I often eat several plates of it."
Sausage & White Bean Soup
Grandma B's Bean Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.