Parchment-Cooked Fish with Morels, Spring Garlic, and Thyme0 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 1 hr
“A rather simple recipe that tastes like it took all day. Use Pacific halibut, striped bass, tilapia, or other sustainable white-fleshed fish.” - by doch83
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place morel mushrooms in a dry skillet over medium heat and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms release their juice and the juice evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle halibut fillets with salt and black pepper on both sides.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat and cook the halibut fillets until golden brown on the outside, about 2 minutes per side. Remove fish from skillet and set aside.
- Cook and stir garlic scapes in the same skillet used to cook fish until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and stir morel mushrooms and thyme with the garlic scapes until combined.
- Fold a piece of parchment paper in half crosswise. Use scissors to cut a very large valentine-like heart shape out of the folded paper, as large as possible. Repeat with remaining parchment to make 4 large heart shapes.
- Open the heart shapes; brush right sides of the hearts with canola oil.
- Place 1/4 morel mushroom mixture in the left (unoiled) half of each heart. Place a halibut fillet on the mushroom mixture. Sprinkle fish with salt and black pepper.
- Fold the oiled right half of the heart over the fish. Fold about 1/4 inch of parchment paper over, starting at the rounded end, and work your way down to the point, folding as you go. Fold the edge over a second time to enclose fish and mushrooms in a bundle with a double-folded, sealed edge.
- Leave about 1/4 inch of the bottom point unfolded.
- Use a straw inserted into the open bottom to blow air into the bundle, making it puff up like a small balloon. Twist the bottom closed to enclose the air.
- Place parchment bundles on 2 baking sheets; don't let the bundles touch each other.
- Bake in the preheated oven until fish is no longer translucent in the center, about 15 minutes.
- To serve, plate each portion and carefully cut open the parchment to reveal the fish, mushrooms, and juices. Bundle will release hot steam when opened.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 280 cal
- 9 g
- 11.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (0)Rate This Recipe
Grilled Fish Steaks
Fish In A Vegetable Patch
Just swipe to see more like this.