Simple Fried Morel Mushrooms2 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 10 min
- Ready In: 30 min
“These mushrooms are a treasure of the woods hunted by many in the early spring here in Missouri. Simple and quick to fry and enjoy. Finding these can be very hard to find in the woods but well worth the work once you get a mess of them to eat.” - by Jonna
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Place halved morel mushrooms in a large bowl; cover with cold, lightly salted water. Refrigerate mushrooms for about 5 minutes to loosen any dirt; pour off salted water, rinse, and repeat twice more. Crevices of the mushrooms may harbor tiny stones or even insects. Thoroughly rinse mushrooms a final time and allow to drain on paper towels.
- Place flour in a shallow bowl.
- Heat vegetable shortening in a large skillet until very hot.
- Roll mushrooms in flour and tap off excess; gently lay mushrooms in the hot shortening.
- Pan-fry until golden brown and flour coating is crisp, 5 to 8 minutes, turning often. Drain morels on paper towels, salt to taste, and enjoy your treasures!
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 185 cal
- 5.3 g
- 29.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"Morels are so packed with flavor, they don't need a bunch of help otherwise. This is the way we always fix them, (except slight difference) I deep fry in 350 oil. Some people I know dips them in beate..." See moren egg and fine cracker crumbs. I have fried in butter, but I like the results with oil. Could always drizzle a bit of melted butter over them after frying, if desired. The most I've ever found is enough to fill a grocery sack. If you've found some I'm jealous."
Superb Sauteed Mushrooms
Stuffed Morel Mushrooms
Just swipe to see more like this.