Potato Candy from Ohio3 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 50 min
“My mom always made this for the holidays when I was a kid in Ohio. You can use left over potatoes from last night's supper or just throw a potato in the microwave for 5 minutes, cool, and add butter and a little salt (no pepper please). The powdered sugar and peanut butter filling goes so well together. The potatoes help the candy hold it's shape and give it substance.” - by KANDI
Original recipe yields 24 slices
- Combine confectioners' sugar, mashed potatoes, butter, and vanilla extract in a large bowl until a thick dough forms. Refrigerate dough until chilled, about 30 minutes. Stir extra confectioners' sugar into dough if too moist.
- Spread a large sheet of waxed paper on the counter. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
- Dust rolling pin with confectioners' sugar. Roll chilled dough on prepared waxed paper into a 1/4-inch thick rectangle.
- Spoon peanut butter into a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in microwave on High until slightly softened, 20 to 30 seconds.
- Spread softened peanut butter onto dough.
- Roll dough, starting from long end, into a jelly roll shape.
- Wrap the roll in waxed paper and refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours. Slice into 1/4-inch slices.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 287 cal
- 11.7 g
- 43.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"My great grandmother used to make this every year at Xmas. In addition to the peanut butter kind she would drop by spoonfulls and put a candied cherry or walnut in the middle. Coconut can be added a..." See mores well. This candy says Christmas to me! And btw I'm from Ohio too!!"
"Yummy. My Dad use to make these at Christmas time for us as kids. Unless you tell folks, they'll never know you use mashed potatoes. Brings back sweet memories...." See more"
"My first attempt at this recipe. Turned out great! I have been looking for this recipe forever...I remember my grandmother making it when I was young. We lived in Ohio at the time. Made me wonder ..." See moreif this was a buckeye treat..haha. Anyway, thank you sooo much, it really took me back to a happy place!"
Dad's Potato Candy
Just swipe to see more like this.