Chef John's Buttermilk Biscuits133 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready In: 35 min
“This deceptively simple recipe can come out a million different ways with some very minor variations on the ingredients and amounts. This one's my favorite - flaky, but not dry; chewy, but not tough; crisp in just the right spots.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 12 biscuits
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together in a large bowl.
- Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about 5 minutes.
- Make a well in the center of butter and flour mixture. Pour in 3/4 cup buttermilk; stir until just combined.
- Turn dough onto a floured work surface, pat together into a rectangle.
- Fold the rectangle in thirds. Turn dough a half turn, gather any crumbs, and flatten back into a rectangle. Repeat twice more, folding and pressing dough a total of three times.
- Roll dough on a floured surface to about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut out 12 biscuits using a 2 1/2-inch round biscuit cutter.
- Transfer biscuits to the prepared baking sheet. Press an indent into the top of each biscuit with your thumb.
- Brush the tops of biscuits with 2 tablespoons buttermilk.
- Bake in the preheated oven until browned, about 15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 143 cal
- 7.1 g
- 17 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (133)Rate This Recipe
"This is a great recipe! I did not change any of the ingredients, but in the directions I put the flour and ice cold butter into a foodprocessor and blized it together for about 30 seconds- (Much easie..." See morer than cutting it in) Then I continued as directed. The biscuts still came out light and flaky."
"OMG! These biscuits are incredible! They're so "deceptively" easy to make and they come out light, moist, and fluffy. Plus they rise nice and high -what more could you want from a buttermilk biscuit! ..." See moreI baked these on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brushed the tops with melted butter during the last five minutes of baking...WOW what a great biscuit!"
Greg's Southern Biscuits
Buttermilk Biscuits I
Just swipe to see more like this.