Chocolate Passover Sponge Cake0 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 45 min
“A true chocolate sponge cake! Use brewed coffee or espresso powder mixed with water.” - by dakatz
Original recipe yields 1 10-inch tube cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Spray a 10-inch tube pan with cooking spray.
- Sift matzo cake meal with potato starch into a bowl; set aside.
- Place egg yolks into a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until light, about 3 minutes.
- Slowly beat 1 cup sugar into the egg yolks; continue beating until mixture is thick and pale, about 5 more minutes. Beat cocoa powder into the egg yolk mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer fitted with clean beaters in a separate bowl until foamy. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar and continue to beat until egg whites hold stiff peaks.
- Lightly stir matzo cake meal mixture and coffee into egg yolk-cocoa mixture.
- Gently fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter, retaining as much volume as possible. Fold in remaining egg whites, mixing just until no white streaks remain. Gently mix in chopped walnuts.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared tube pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until top of cake shows small cracks and springs back when lightly pressed, about 45 minutes.
- Run a knife around the sides of cake to loosen from the pan. Invert cake onto a wire rack to cool.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 216 cal
- 6.3 g
- 36.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (0)Rate This Recipe
Flourless Chocolate Cake II
Glorious Sponge Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.