Chicken Chile Verde7 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 2 hr 15 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 45 min
“During culinary school I worked at a Mexican restaurant in Saranac Lake, NY, called Casa Del Sol. My favorite dish was the Chile Verde. In this version I simmer large chunks of chicken slowly in an exotic green sauce of tomatillos and chilies.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Season chicken pieces with salt and black pepper on all sides.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, 2 to 3 pieces at a time, until browned on all sides, about 15 minutes total. Set aside.
- Place tomatillos, jalepeno peppers, garlic, cilantro, and chicken stock in a blender and puree until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over medium-low heat in a Dutch oven. Stir in onion, cook and stir until onion is soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Stir in cumin, oregano, and bay leaf; cook 1 minute.
- Place chicken over onion mixture in the Dutch oven. Pour in tomatillo mixture. Bring to a boil, decrease heat to low and simmer, covered, until the meat is tender and falling off the bone, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes and cook, uncovered, until they are easily pierced with a fork, about 35 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste; serve garnished with sour cream.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 441 cal
- 24.7 g
- 30 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (7)Rate This Recipe
"What a disappointment. Bland. Will definitely not make again...." See more"
"This recipe was flavorful. I will definately make it again. It was very simple to make. I used 3 jalapeno's because we like it hot but next time I'm going to use the 2 recommended in the recipe bec..." See moreause it really was too hot."
"Made this tonight using only bone in, skin on chicken thighs. I cooked as directed and once I added the potatoes I removed the chicken from the pot to take off the skin and bones, shredded the chicke..." See moren and then replaced it in the pot to continue cooking with the potatoes. I am making burritos with it. It is very yummy! It could almost use some fresh cilantro and lime juice at the very end to give it a little more punch."
Colorado Green Chili (Chile Verde)
Green Chile Chicken Stew
Just swipe to see more like this.