Gingerbread Cake with Lemon Glaze17 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 35 min
- Ready In: 45 min
“If you're looking for a new addition to your holiday dessert table, I hope you give this a try. Enjoy!” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 1 cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease and lightly flour a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Whisk flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and Chinese five-spice powder in a bowl.
- Stir sugar, molasses, oil, and egg into flour mixture until just combined.
- Pour in boiling water and whisk until the batter is smooth and shiny, about 1 minute.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Tap pan gently on the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Mix powdered sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a bowl until sugar dissolves.
- Pour lemon juice mixture over cake while cake is still hot. Spread the mixture around with a spatula to ensure even distribution. Let cake cool completely before serving.
Amount Per Serving (9 total)
- 355 cal
- 13.1 g
- 57.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (17)Rate This Recipe
"Very easy and not too sweet - perfect with a scoop of ice cream. If the cake sank in the middle it was either under cooked - check with a tooth pick in the center or your batter was too wet. Mine to..." See moreok exactly 35 minutes."
"Not quite sure what to rate it. The taste is fantastic but the cake was sunken in the middle and it was very crumbly... Updated: I live at 6000ft and I believe that the ingredient combination here is ..." See morerather difficult for high altitude. I tried the Favorite Old Fashioned Gingerbread recipe from here also and that worked at over 7000 ft. So, if you live at high altitudes, I might suggest using the proportions in that recipe and the adjust the spices according to your tastes."
Lemon Poke Cake II
Lemon Loaf Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.