Spicy Orange Chicken27 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 25 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 45 min
“My Spicy Orange Chicken has the same flavor profile as its take-out counterpart, Orange Chicken: the sweet orange, the spicy chilies, and the Asian condiments. I make this without oil, making something much lighter and very tasty.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Whisk orange juice, brown sugar, rice vinegar, fish sauce, soy sauce, ginger, and crushed red pepper flakes in a large bowl.
- Mix in chicken pieces and toss to evenly coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator and drain thoroughly in colander, reserving marinade.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over high heat. Cook and stir chicken for 2 minutes; spoon out any excess liquid.
- Continue to cook and stir until chicken caramelizes, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in white portions of green onions, garlic, and orange zest; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in half of reserved marinade. Simmer until reduced and thickened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in jalapeno pepper, bell pepper, and sugar snap peas; cook and stir until vegetables are warmed, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in green portions of green onions; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 324 cal
- 10.8 g
- 25.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (27)Rate This Recipe
"crazy good. I forgot to add the fish sauce, skipped jalapeno and used on hand fresh vegetables ( celery carrots onion broccoli ) sauce is fantastic. orange zest is mandatory. Don't skip. Thanks for sh..." See morearing"
"This was very welcome for dinner here. It was a tad sweet for me - but I am the odd-ball, everyone else loved it. I followed the recipe and method with the exception of finely chopping the jalapeno ..." See morepepper. I did this is a heavy duty wok - really high heat and didn't have to spoon off any extra liquid from the chicken. I didn't need half of the marinade either. I used a large spoon and spooned a couple of spoonfulls of the marinade around the edge of the very hot wok - so the liquid would immediately come to a boil and thicken quickly. Thanks for a great recipe. Enjoy!"
Spicy Orange Chicken Wing Sauce
Bev's Orange Chicken
Just swipe to see more like this.