Grilled Lemon Yogurt Chicken63 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 35 min
- Ready In: 3 hr 50 min
“There is something special about what yogurt does to chicken in its smoky, sizzling time over charcoal. It imparts a tangy flavor that lifts all the other flavorings. It tenderizes slightly, without turning the meat into mush. It grills to a caramelized dark brown without tasting burnt.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Whisk together the 1/2 cup yogurt, the juice from 1/2 lemon, lemon zest, olive oil, garlic, paprika, herbes de Provence, 1 teaspoon salt, and black pepper in a bowl. Pour into a resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, coat with the marinade, squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat, and lightly oil the grate.
- Combine 1/2 cup yogurt, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and harissa in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Remove chicken from bag and transfer to a plate or baking sheet lined with paper towels. Pat chicken pieces dry with more paper towels. Season with pinch of salt.
- Grill chicken, skin-side down, on the preheated grill for 2 minutes. Turn each piece and move to indirect heat.
- Grill, turning often, with lid down until well-browned and meat is no longer pink in the center, 30 to 35 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone, should read 180 degrees F (82 degrees C).
- Serve chicken with the yogurt harissa mixture on the side.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 524 cal
- 29.8 g
- 6.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (63)Rate This Recipe
"Thank you Chef John. I followed your recipe exactly, except that I used chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken (not a fan of bones), and my husband said that this was the best chicken ever. We e..." See moreat a lot of different chicken breast recipes, so that says a lot."
"Wallaceclan - harissa is a North African chili paste. If you don't have it, you could make a paste with 1 t. sriracha or chili garlic sauce, 1 clove of crushed garlic, 1/2 t ground cumin , 1/2 t. gro..." See moreund coriander and 1/2 t. salt. This makes a very moist and flavorful chicken. I marinated for about 6 hours and it was perfect."
"Such a nice change from other grilled chicken and so healthy. You can do this marinade with any type of chicken (ie: boneless, skinless breasts or thighs). I didn't even marinate it for more than 1 ..." See more1/2 hours and it was still delicious! The yogurt harissa (hot sauce) mixture is great with the chicken. I served this chicken with coleslaw."
Yummy Honey Chicken Kabobs
Baked Slow Cooker Chicken
Just swipe to see more like this.