Chef John's Tandoori Chicken9 Reviews
- Prep: 5 min
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 20 min
“Tandoori chicken gets its name from the clay oven it is traditionally cooked in, the Tandoor. The chicken is marinated in yogurt and an incredibly complex mix of spices, and then roasted in the extremely hot tandoor oven. Don't worry if you don't have a Tandoor clay oven sitting in the back yard; a grill will work just fine.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Whisk lime juice, yogurt, tandoori powder, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Pour mixture into a resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, coat with the marinade, squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat, and lightly oil the grate.
- Remove chicken from the bag and transfer to a plate or baking sheet lined with paper towels. Pat chicken pieces dry with more paper towels.
- Grill chicken on the preheated grill with the lid open for 2 minutes. Close lid and continue to grill chicken for 6 minutes.
- Turn chicken, close lid and grill until well-browned and meat is no longer pink in the center, about 6 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh should read 180 degrees F (82 degrees C).
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 215 cal
- 11.1 g
- 1.9 g
- < 1%
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (9)Rate This Recipe
"if you, like me, can't buy the tandoori masala powder : 1 tsp Garlic (Lasun) Powder 1 tsp ground Ginger (Adrak) 1 tsp Cloves (Lavang) Powder 1/2 tsp grated Nutmeg (Jaiphal) 1 tsp Mace Powder (Javitri)..." See more 11/2 tblsp Cumin (Jeera) Powder 2 tblsp ground Corriander (Dhania) 1 tsp Fenugreek (Methi) Powder 1 tsp ground Cinnamon (Tuj/Dalchini) 1 tsp fresh ground Black Pepper (Kalimirchi) 1 tsp ground brown Cardamom (Elaichi) Seeds 2 tsp Red Food colouring mix together and store in an air tight container."
"It's all in the spice blend. I used Penzey's Spices tandoori mix with plain greek yogurt & key limes. http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyscurrytand.html?id=fyErmhgq Mix 1-2 TB. with 1 Cu..." See morep plain yogurt and the juice of ½ lime or lemon. Pour over a cut-up skinless chicken, cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight. Remove from marinade, bake 45 minutes uncovered at 325°, turning and basting every 15 minutes. If I cook this in my terra cotta CLAY roaster I bake it at 350 for 1 hour no basting. Moist & delicious!"
Chef John's Caramel Chicken
Grilled Chicken with Ginger and Black Bean Sauce
Just swipe to see more like this.