Louisville Rice Salad2 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 10 min
“A delicious cold rice salad recipe given to me by my sister who lived in Louisville, Kentucky for many years. It's one of my favorite side dishes in the spring and summer. This is a very flexible recipe. You can substitute any fresh herbs you have on hand for the chives and tarragon, vary the nuts used, use golden raisins or dark. We've made this recipe many different ways and I've yet to discover a variation we didn't like!” - by Diana S.
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Bring rice and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let rice cool for at least 30 minutes, stirring several times as it cools. Transfer to a large salad bowl.
- Mix vegetable oil, lemon juice, wine vinegar, sugar, chives, tarragon, and salt together in a bowl until the sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Pour dressing over the cooled rice and stir to combine.
- Mix your choice of slivered almonds, raisins, mandarin orange segments, onion, celery, bell pepper, and peas into the rice mixture and lightly toss to combine.
- Cover salad and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 399 cal
- 23.1 g
- 44.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"This is a nice light side dish. Added peas, red onion, red pepper, and mango. Served with salmon. Very nice..." See more"
"I really liked this rice salad! I used my lemon olive oil for the oil, but then later I was thinking that my blood orange olive oil would have made it even better---so next time. I chose to use red ..." See moreonion, slivered almonds, red bell pepper, and celery for dinner tonight. When I eat the leftovers for lunch tomorrow, I'll add some golden raisins. This has all kinds of possibilities, and that's my favorite thing about this recipe! Thanks!"
Chicken and Snap Pea Wild Rice Salad
Brown Rice Salad
Just swipe to see more like this.