Aunt Connie's Coconut Cake2 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 1 hr 20 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 50 min
“Aunt Connie made this cake for special occasions. It is as wonderful as she was, and I remember her every time I make it.” - by Diana
Original recipe yields 1 10-inch tube cake
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Grease a 10-inch tube pan.
- Combine flour, salt, and baking soda in a bowl.
- Beat 1 1/2 cup butter and 3 cups sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until light and fluffy. The mixture should be noticeably lighter in color.
- Beat eggs one at a time into butter mixture, allowing each egg to blend completely before adding the next. Beat in sour cream and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract with the last egg.
- Gradually stir flour mixture into egg mixture, mixing until just incorporated.
- Fold in 7 ounces flaked coconut, mixing just enough to evenly combine. Pour the batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 90 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Whisk milk and cornstarch in a saucepan over medium heat until mixture becomes very thick, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes; set aside to cool completely.
- Beat 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup butter, and shortening with an electric mixer in a bowl until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Beat cooled milk paste and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract into sugar mixture to achieve a light and creamy frosting.
- Spread frosting over completely cooled cake and sprinkle remaining 3 1/2 ounces flaked coconut over the frosting.
Amount Per Serving (16 total)
- 694 cal
- 40 g
- 79.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"Makes a very large cake that is absolutely yummy. I have been searching for a good coconut cake and I have now found it. It appears to be more of a pound cake. Will make this again, and again and agai..." See moren. Made recipe according to directions which were very easy to follow."
Coconut Sour Cream Pound Cake
Coconut Cake IV
Just swipe to see more like this.