Chef John's Chocolate Mint Brownies10 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 35 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“This stripped-down recipe for brownies requires almost zero technique, and uses only cocoa powder to achieve a dense, chewy, very chocolaty treat. Top with mint icing for a unique spin on an old favorite.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 16 brownies
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Combine sugar and cocoa powder in a large bowl; stir in melted butter until mixture is smooth.
- Stir in 1 egg, vanilla, and salt. Mix in second egg.
- Fold in flour and transfer to ungreased 8x8-inch square baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool in the baking dish for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Mix powdered sugar, milk, and mint extract in a bowl until smooth.
- Pour icing over cooled brownies. Spread evenly and allow to set, about 30 minutes.
- Slice into 16 brownies.
Amount Per Serving (16 total)
- 174 cal
- 7 g
- 28.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (10)Rate This Recipe
"These were good. I am going to make them again, but I will grease the baking dish. I thought "ungreased" was odd, but left it that way. Brownies stuck. The pieces were good though! More brownie l..." See moreike than another recipe I tried."
"I thought it best to grease the pan first of all, so I used wilton cake release spray. DId not want to make the icing as these were to sit on the counter at work for 8 hours so I changed the recipe s..." See morelightly by using mint extract in place of the vanilla. Topped off with a little green powdered sugar. Anything mint works a treat for me! I just love both the basic taste and the texture of this brownie, now that I have this recipe I plan on swopping out the extract to make a variety of different flavors. Planning on trying with orange extract next!"
Double Chocolate Mint Cookies
Chocolate Butterfinger Brownies
Just swipe to see more like this.